Young Woman and the Sea

Young Woman and the Sea, the true story about Trudy Ederle, the first woman to swim the English Channel, premiered on Disney+ last month. The movie is directed by Joachim Ronning and stars Daisy Ridley as Ederle. I was a little hesitant to watch this movie because I did not hear a lot about it and it seemed very similar to 2023's Netflix original, Nyad, despite being about a different swimmer. Ultimately, I decided to give it a watch and I am so happy that I did.

This movie is one of the best films I have seen in 2024. Every aspect of the movie was executed so well; the acting, direction, set design, and film score all worked hand in hand to deliver a truly enjoyable and magical movie experience. This is a true story, and we know the ending going in, but I still found myself on the edge of my seat anxiously anticipating what was going to happen next. My only critique is the abysmal job of marketing that Disney did for this movie. I feel like there really were not a lot of commercials leading up to the movie's release and it did not receive a wide theatrical release which is a shame because it is such a good story that was beautifully delivered.

My rating for this movie is a 9.5/10 and if I were handing out Oscars, Young Woman and the Sea would be winning Best Director, Best Actress, Best Original Score, and Best Picture. This is the type of movie that leaves you feeling inspired and truly overwhelmed with emotion. I highly recommend watching this and hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts