Speak no Evil (2022)

Speak No Evil (2024) starring James McAvoy and Mackenzie Davis is due to hit theaters this coming September. The original movie from 2022 is streaming on Shudder and I decided to give it a watch. This psychological horror film of the same name follows a Danish family that are invited to spend a few days with a Dutch family that they meet on holiday. Things seem fine at first but quickly turn south as the days goes by. Director and co-screenwriter Christian Tafdrup stated that he came up with the idea of this film from a personal experience; while on vacation with his family in Italy, they met a Dutch couple and ended up spending a lot of time together and after they had returned home, they received an invitation from that family to come stay with them.

I really liked this movie and felt that the chemistry between the Dutch couple, Patrick and Karin, was amazing. So amazing in fact that it was no surprise to me when I found out that they are played by real life married couple Fedja van Huet and Karina Smulders. The thing that stood out to me the most about this film was how realistic the story is. While I was watching it, I kept thinking to myself how this is something that could totally happen to someone and I feel that it made the story even scarier. 

This is a really good movie and there is a part of me that wishes it wasn't being remade because I want people to watch this one. I find it very interesting that it is being remade at all because it was only released just 2 years ago. Regardless, I am still excited to see the remake this September but I hope you get a chance to see the original now streaming on Shudder.

Comments

Popular Posts