Am I ok?

The directorial debut of Tig Notaro and her wife Stephanie Allynne, Am I ok?, is now streaming on MAX and if you're looking for a good movie to watch this Pride season (or any time really), I recommend it! My wife and I are big fans of Tig Notaro's work so watching this was a must for us. The film stars Dakota Johnson as Lucy, a young woman in her early 30s who hasn't quite figured out her sexual identity yet and thus embarks on a journey of self-exploration. 

The film was written by Lauren Pomerantz and it is semi-based on her real-life experiences. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and feel that it deserves more hype than it is currently getting. Pomerantz did a superb job in writing this story. In her writing, she makes the viewer see exactly how hard it is to struggle with your own identity. Someone very close to me recently made known her sexuality and this movie gave me a better understand of what she may have been going through. 

Every once in a while, you get to watch a movie that not only entertains but also educates. Am I ok? is a feel-good film that warms your heart but more importantly, it creates a voice for those who may be just like Lucy and haven't discovered who they are quite yet. I hope you get a chance to see this movie and enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts