The Instigators

Last week, I finally got to see The Instigators, starring Matt Damon and Casey Affleck. This buddy comedy directed by Doug Liman was released on AppleTV+ in early August and follows two robbers who, after a botched robbery, seek the help of their therapist to get them out of a sticky situation.

I really wanted to like this movie, especially because much of it was filmed in Quincy, Massachusetts where I used to live. It was really cool seeing multiple landmarks represented in the movie that I have visited, including Malachy's Saloon which I have visited with my friends. Unfortunately, this movie is just not that good. The performances by both Affleck and Damon were very good along with Hong Chau who played the therapist. Overall, I found it very hard to get into the story and really did not find it that engaging. Being from Massachusetts, it was really cool to see a movie that was filmed and based in in my home state, and it being written and produced by Massachusetts born filmmakers was an added bonus, so I did enjoy the movie. However, if it were not for the sentimental value that this film brings, I doubt that I would like it at all. 

If you are someone from Massachusetts, I highly recommend checking this movie out. If you are not, you might still like it, but I don't know if there is any substance here without the sentimental value. 

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts