Out of Darkness: Movie Review***SPOILERS AT THE BOTTOM**

 Hello,

Earlier this week, my friend and I saw the new horror movie, Out of Darkness from Bleeker Street studios. Shortly before going to see this, I had never even heard of the movie and I suspect that, before reading this post, neither had you. What caught my eye and ultimately lead me to purchasing a ticket for the movie was the film's tag line; "The dawn of man. The birth of fear."

Out of Darkness is the story of a group of humans searching for a new home who suddenly begin to get stalked by a mysterious monster. The movie is shot in such a way that we as the viewers don't find out what the monster is until the characters on screen do. This made me feel like I was right there with them and I found myself on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what it was that was stalking them. This style really added to the fear aspect as it allowed me to put myself in the character's shoes. 

I love how unique this movie is. Director Andrew Cumming even created an entire language called "Tola" for the film. I feel this added to the originality of the story and helped engross me in the film even more. If you are looking for an original horror movie, I would recommend checking out Out of Darkness while it is still in theaters.

**Scroll down to see a spoiler on what I thought about the ending.***













Hi, me again. 

Sorry for making you scroll down a bit, but I wanted to make sure anyone who hadn't seen the film and plans to didn't see what I am about to write. 

As I mentioned above, something that I really enjoyed about this movie is that you do not find out who is stalking the group until the characters on screen do. When we finally find out what it is, we are surprised to find out that it is another human! Now, this human does look very different from the humans who we follow for most of the film. The main character, Beyah, goes after the human stalker and ultimately kills her and, after she has killed the stalker, we realize that the stalker was in fact only trying to help. 

This ending got me thinking "wait, isn't this supposed to be a monster movie?" Then I came up with my take and why screenwriter Ruth Greenberg wrote the ending the way she did. As I mentioned above, the stalker only wanted to help, but because Beyah and the rest of the group's fear was so great, misunderstandings happened and death resulted. These types of misunderstandings and fear still happen today when we see something/someone we are not familiar with and immediately assume the worst. I thought that this was an original take on the dangers of pre-judging someone just because they are different and you are not familiar with them. 

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts