Cuckoo

Last night I went to see the new horror movie, Cuckoo, written and directed by Tilman Singer and starring Hunter Schafer and Dan Stevens. This film follows 17-year-old Gretchen (Schafer) who travels to a strange resort in Germany with her father and stepmother. At first, she thinks they are just there to help design a new resort, but she soon finds out there are different motives in play as things turn from strange to downright sinister. 

It is basically impossible to explain exactly what this movie is about without giving away any spoilers, so I won't even attempt it. Instead, I will focus solely on my thoughts about the movie. Overall, I did enjoy the movie and gave it a solid 7/10 rating. The cinematography style was really cool, and I thought that the movie was beautifully shot. What really made the movie for me were the performances by both Hunter Schafer and Dan Stevens. They both absolutely stole the show, and I recommend seeing this movie if for no other reason than to watch them. I did not love how completely and utterly confused I was both during and after the movie. There were a lot of comparisons made between what was happening to the characters and cuckoo birds, but I am sorry to say I did not understand. 

If you plan to see this movie and I hope you do, I recommend going into this movie as blind as you can. I think avoiding trailers will make for a better viewing experience After I got home from the movie, I took to TikTok and found some videos that helped clear some of my confusion. So, if you feel as "cuckoo" as I did after seeing it, that may help. 

Thanks for reading and feel free to share this review and comment below your thoughts!



Comments

Popular Posts