Priscilla

I just watched this biopic about Elvis's first wife, and I have to say I learned some things that I did not know about Priscilla Presley. Of course, I was not surprised by this considering I did not really know much about her at all. I guess that is what happens when your husband is Elvis. The movie is written and directed by the wonderfully talented Sofia Coppola and is based off the book "Elvis and Me" written by Priscilla Presley and Sandra Harmon. Cailee Spaeny stars as the titular character and is joined by Jacob Elordi who takes on the role as Elvis.

This was a very interesting story about the woman behind one of the most influential musical performers of his generation. I found it very interesting to learn more about Priscila herself and everything that she struggled with. The story of Elvis is very popular and well known and I felt that Coppola did a very good job of keeping the focus on Priscilla. Elvis was there, but only as a side character. In the film, we learn that Elvis was not always kind to Priscilla. This aspect to of the film was not positively received by Elvis's estate, especially his late daughter Lisa Marie who threatened to speak out against the film upon it's release. Sadly, Lisa Marie passed away before the film was released. I will admit that I found the story a little dull and boring at times, but I really enjoyed the concept and am glad I watched it. 

All in all, I would consider this movie as good not great and give is a 6.8/10. Priscilla is now streaming on MAX and I recommend giving it a watch. 

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts