Civil War: Movie Review

The other night, I went and saw the new action thriller, Civil War, in theaters. The movie stars Kirsten Dunst and is written and directed by Alex Garland. Civil War takes place in the not-so-distant future where America has become a war zone as civil war rages between the US Government and various regional factions. Our main character Lee (Dunst) is a world-renowned war photographer who embarks on a road trip from New York to Washington D.C. with her colleagues, documenting the war as they travel. 

When I went to see this, I thought that it was going to be a very politically charged action drama. In reality, this was very much an anti-war cautionary tale to all Americans, no matter what side of the political coin you find yourself on. I promise I am not about to get political or anything, but the idea of our country entering into a second civil war is not completely unrealistic.

This movie was very well done. The acting and writing was very good, and Alex Garland really showed off his directing skills. What I felt really made this movie great were the stunning visuals throughout the film. There were many vibrant colors used in the art direction of the movie, along with many gorgeous shots including an absolutely beautiful scene involving a forest fire. What I found so striking about the forest fire scene was that this was one of the most beautiful things I have seen on screen, and it was during a very tumultuous time of the movie. It seemed that Garland was trying to show us a contrast between the beauty that we see around us, and the ugliness of war. 

This was a very fun movie to watch, even if at times it got a little too realistic. As always, thank you for reading and if you like my reviews, please share with your friends and follow me on Instagram.

Comments

Popular Posts