Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

The 8th and possibly final Planet of the Apes movie is now in theaters. If you are interested in watching some cinematic history and the evolution of special effects, costume design, and makeup, I recommend watching the first 4 films from the 70s and then watching the newest 4 films from the 2010s. They are all streaming on Hulu, Starz, and Max and they are all a good time! 

In Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes we are introduced to a new host of heroes, generations after the events of the previous 3 films. Caesar's story is done, and now we see what the world has become since his rule. My favorite part of this movie was the character development. Our 3 main characters, Noa, Nova, and Raka, each are multi-dimensional and have their own roles in telling the story. My second favorite part of the movie was the villain. Proximus Caesar, voiced by Kevin Duran, is charismatic, witty, unhinged, and a complete psycho. His character was brilliantly written and beautifully portrayed as well. 

I really enjoyed this movie and thought that it was a lot of fun. As much as I have enjoyed every Planet of the Apes movie, minus Tim Burton's remake in 2001, I hope that this is the last one. I would be very content in them ending this franchise on a high note. 

Comments

Popular Posts