The Exorcism

The Exorcism starring Russell Crowe is now playing in theaters. My wife and I went to see it opening night with our friends, and based on some of Crowe's latest projects, my expectations were pretty low. I am happy to say that the movie exceeded my expectations and is actually pretty good. 

The thing that stood out most to me was how good the acting in this film was. Russell Crowe steals the show as Anthony Miller and David Hyde Pierce was brilliant as Father Conor. The role of Anthony Miller is extremely complex. He is a depressed recovering alcoholic struggling actor who is also trying to mend a damaged relationship with his daughter, not to mention some strange things that start happening to him while on set for his latest film. To be able to play this kind of character takes pure talent and Crowe was clearly up for the task. Now on top of this being a horror film, the movie has not received good reviews so Crowe's performance will not be celebrated and likely forgotten quickly which is unfortunate because it truly was great. 

This film is not without its faults, specifically, it takes way too long to get going. There are many instances where you think that the story is going to pick up only for it to once again come to a screeching halt. All in all, I enjoyed this movie and if you are looking for a fun summer horror film that's not too scary, I recommend checking this out. 

Thank you for reading and be sure to follow my Instagram page for announcements of more reviews.

Comments

Popular Posts