Lift: movie review

 Hello,

Last night, my wife and I watched Lift, the new movie which premiered on Netflix Friday. The film stars Kevin Hart as Cyrus who leads a team of thieves on a daring and seemingly impossible heist. In addition to Kevin Hart, the film has a strong supporting cast including Sam Worthington, Vincent D'Onofrio, Billy Magnussen, Jean Reno, and Gugu Mbatha-Raw. The film was directed by F. Gary Gray who has directed such films as Law Abiding Citizen, The Italian Job, and Straight Outta Compton; three movies that I very much enjoyed so you can imagine my excitement when I saw that he was directing this.

If I am being honest, there is nothing special about this film. It won't win any awards, and likely will not be critically acclaimed. It is 1 hour and 47 minutes of fun and entertainment which, at the end of the day, is really all we need in a good heist film. It is listed as an action/comedy, but probably only because it stars Kevn Hart. Of course, this film did have it's funny moments (how could it not with Kevin Hart and Billy Magnussen as part of the cast), but this is way more an action film than it is a comedy. If I could compare it to any other film I have seen, I would say it compares most closely to Brett Ratner's 2011 action/comedy Tower Heist which starred Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy. 

Lift is currently streaming on Netflix and, if you are in the mood for an easy watch with some comedy and a lot of action, I recommend it!

Thanks for reading! 

 

Comments

Popular Posts